Friday, December 29, 2017

Reading Challenge

Book Review Time








Several years ago, I developed insomnia. My sleep was disrupted to a level that caused me significant distress.  Anyone who has dealt with insomnia can tell you that the more stress it causes, the less able to sleep you become.  Fortunately, not long after the insomnia set in I discovered Goodreads' annual Reading Challenge.  At the beginning of each new year, I set a goal number of books I will read.  Now, rather than tossing and turning, I spend the time that I can't sleep reading instead.
I recently wrapped up 2017's challenge when I read A Man Called Ove which is a terrific book.  Other favorite reads this year include Widow, The Sisters Chase, Those Who Save Us and It's Not Yet Dark.  
I have heard some people suggest reading challenges are not a good idea because they discourage us from reading books of any significant length, but that has not been my experience.  I still read a variety, choosing only what really interests me regardless of length.  I tackled Bill Clinton's My Life this year, though it was not one of my favorites.  However, the two books I loved most this year happen to be two of the shortest I read.  Both can easily be read in a single sitting.  Dear Ijeawele, or a Feminist Manifesto in Fifteen Suggestions and And Every Morning the Way Home Gets Longer and Longer: two gems with titles nearly as long as the books themselves were the very best books I read in 2017.


5478261. ux70 cr0,16,70,70

2017



TOTALS
Img bookstack 360
I read 39,922 pages across 120 books



MOST POPULAR 2,209,207people also read
The Alchemist
by 
The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
         
LEAST POPULAR
0
people also read
The French on Life and Love
by 


Dear Ijeawele, or a Feminist Manifesto in Fifteen Suggestions by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
HIGHEST RATED ON GOODREADS
Dear Ijeawele, or a Feminist Manifesto in Fifteen Suggestions
by 

4.55 average

Maude by Donna Foley Mabry
My first review of the year
really liked it 
Poignant memoir of an average American woman over seven decades of life. Maude experienced so much history-suffrage, the Great Depression, two World Wars and more. Over that time she had many losses, but managed to not become bitter or cold-hearted. Maude's story is written by her granddaughter as she recalls stories her grandmother told her at bedtime throughout her childhood. 


MY 2017 BOOKS





















A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman
My last review of the year
really liked it 
A traditional man, the strong silent type, believes he has nothing to live for. His wish for his life to draw to a close is forever being interrupted by his young and optimistic neighbors.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Penny for your thoughts.