Saturday, December 24, 2016

Serenity



A busy week has come to a close.  I immerse my self in warm water and feel the stress soak away from my weary body.  My mind relaxes, letting go of all that has left me tense and preoccupied. I sigh and think serenity.
I let my mind wander to other things that bring serenity.  Some people think money will bring peace of mind, but it has its own set of stresses.  It comes along with a trap; the more a person has, the more she worries about how to hang onto it.
I consider a get-away on a tropical isle; I see myself in a white woven hammock trailing a toe in the sand as I sway by the clear blue water.  As my imaginary hammock swings in rhythm  with the tide, I know I would be soothed by such a get-away.  But trips like these are temporary and the stresses left behind must be revisited soon.
This is the trouble with the serenity I seek.  It either is revealed to be false hope or it is real, but all too fleeting.  Mulling over the quest for serenity I refer to the definition of the word.  I am not surprised to find words like calm and tranquil in the dictionary's description.  It is only upon looking a second time that I discover a lesser known definition:
Serenity- 2. (usually initial capital letter)  a title of honor, respect or reverence, used in speaking of or to certain members of royalty (usually preceded by his, your, etc.)  Dictionary.com
Never have I heard the term Serenity used as a title for a king.  It is as if a light turned on and I understand perfectly.  I am most serene when I put my faith in Him.  God sent us Serenity in the form of a babe in a manger.  He is neither false hope or fleeting promise.
May you find Serenity this Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Penny for your thoughts.