Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Glockenspiel, I Love You

Write about a crush you had...



Last Christmas our son took us to Munich saying we just had to see the Marienplatz with its Christmas Market and beautiful Rathaus. As we approached the area which is in the center of the old city, the tower of the Rathaus caught my eye as he knew it would.




These photos were  taken in those moments just before I fell in love.  The shed-like structures temporarily held merchandise for the Christmas Market.  The Rathaus pulled me forward with its tall, graceful tower. I was beginning to feel the charm.


We wove our way deeper into the holiday market.  As we neared the center courtyard of the Marienplatz, I found myself stealing meaningful glances at the Rathaus.  All at once I saw the darker open area in the tower about the height of the roof line.  I couldn't help but stare.  This is when my son knew the moment was right... Glockenspiel, meet Mutti.  Mutti, Glockenspiel.


It was love at first sight.  I was completely smitten with the mechanical wonder of this oversized music box.  Built in 1908, life-size pieces of art still dance and joust daily in scenes that tell the history of the land.  The Bavarian knight rides off in victory on the upper level, while coopers optimistically dance a defiant jig below signifying that hope remained even in the face of the plague.


This guy has it all--music, art, history and engineering--everything a nerdy girl like me could want.


And so it was, my traveling companions would lose sight of me every afternoon long about five o'clock while we were in Munich.  Whether in line at the Christmas Market or finishing a bite to eat at a restaurant, off I would dash in a heartbeat. I'd head out to the Marienplatz camera in hand, jockeying for the best view of the mechanical show.  I would stand transfixed on the cobblestone plaza not hearing a word anyone said to me while the figures danced and spun overhead.  Each time I saw the Glockenspiel in action was as exciting as the very first time.


Alas, I wasn't meant to stay in Munich long-term.  The time arrived for me to say goodbye to this architectural beauty and its amazing musical feature.  I walked away, but not without more than a few backwards glances.


More than a year has passed since I first heard the bells and watched the coopers turn in unison. Still, my feelings remain just as strong.  I will be back again someday, Glockenspiel! You can count on that.
















No comments:

Post a Comment

Penny for your thoughts.